Monday, August 1, 2011

Thunder Dog



Author: Michael Hingson with Susy Flory
My recommended age: 12+
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson publishers.
Number of pages: 256

Publisher’s description:
"A blind man and his guide dog show the power of trust and courage in the midst of devastating terror.
It was 12:30 a.m. on 9/11 and Roselle whimpered at Michael’s bedside. A thunderstorm was headed east, and she could sense the distant rumbles while her owners slept. As a trained guide dog, when she was “on the clock” nothing could faze her. But that morning, without her harness, she was free to be scared, and she nudged Michael’s hand with her wet nose as it draped over the bedside toward the floor. She needed him to wake up.
With a busy day of meetings and an important presentation ahead, Michael slumped out of bed, headed to his home office, and started chipping away at his daunting workload. Roselle, shivering, took her normal spot at his feet and rode out the storm while he typed. By all indications it was going to be a normal day. A busy day, but normal nonetheless. Until they went into the office.
In Thunder Dog, follow Michael and his guide dog, Roselle, as their lives are changed forever by two explosions and 1,463 stairs. When the first plane struck Tower One, an enormous boom, frightening sounds, and muffled voices swept through Michael’s office while shards of glass and burning scraps of paper fell outside the windows.
But in this harrowing story of trust and courage, discover how blindness and a bond between dog and man saved lives and brought hope during one of America’s darkest days."

My thoughts:
 Amazing.  How many books have been written by a blind person?  Huh?  This book, though it lacked physical description, had me feeling like I was right there.  Holding on to Roselle's halter, walking down the 78 flights of stairs.  I felt like I was feeling the towers groan and collapse under my feet, and running...running from the dust cloud and danger.  Michael Hingson, though blind, could be an incredible writer.  I also learned about blindness more then ever.  I never even knew about all these amazing gadgets that blind folks have to help them go about life just like us.  I also learned about the day-to-day trials of blind people.  I now know how to treat them:  Just like anybody else.
Cons:
 None.
Pros:
 The amazing first hand experience I got while sitting on my bed.
The incredible knowledge I now store up in my head.
Language:
Nothing comes to mind.
Romance and sexual content:
None.
Violence:
Other then a plane crashing into our twin towers on 9/11, none.
Drugs and drink:
None.
Ratings:
You probably noticed, there was no cons, no objectionable material and an over all wonderful read.  I think you know I'm going to rate this a:
*I received this book from Booksneeze; A free book reviewer program.   If you would like to join booksneeze, go {HERE}.

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?