Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cinderella Cleaners: A change of A Dress.

Author: Maya Gold
My recommended age: 9-11
Their recommended age: 9-12
Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Number of pages: 224

Publisher’s description:
Behind the counter at Cinderella Cleaners, Diana watches the clothes come and go. She loves to imagine the exciting events that the different outfits might be worn to. Then one day, Diana reaches into the pocket of a fancy coat - and finds an invitation to a glittering gala in New York City. Since the coat's owner is out of town, Diana gets a wild idea. With the help of some savvy friends, one glamorous dress, and a lot of improvising, Diana pretends to be someone she's not, and makes it into the party! Will she be discovered, or will her disguise come off without a hitch?
My thoughts:
·         Characters:  The Character development was amazing.  Each person was their own, person.  And the ones meant to be lovable, were. Except Adam.  I couldn't get into the groove with him.
·         Plot:  Eh. ok.  I'll admit, it was a page turner, but I had bigger expectations for it, than it gave.  There was pretty much no deep moral, which is a big bummer for me.
·         Writing:  Maya Gold's writing style is perfect for her age group.   I found it a bit under me (what can I say?  My fault for reading a younger aged book), but it was a good, fast paced, yet clear, style.
·         Cover:  Pretty cool.  Only thing, my OCD kicked in, the dress Diana is wearing on the COVER isn't at all like the one she wears in the book.  Sorry, Ms. Gold's designer.
·         Ending:  I was kinda let down.  I wanted Diana to clear things up with her Dad and Step-Mom, and learn something bigger than, 'Dreams DO come true!'.  But, she didn't.  If you want a book with learning, and values, you're not gonna get it here.
·         World building: Maya Gold used really good, but not overbearing descriptions, thumbs up for that.


Cons:
 Diana does have a crush on an acotor, and another guy.  All innocent, though, nothing comes from it.
She lies and deceives her parents, which is a BIG no-no.  but, she does get punished, if that is any balm.
No moral learning.
Pros:
 Fun read.  
Diana does fet punished for her wrong doings.
Beautiful writing and descriptions.
Good character development.
Language:
None.
Romance and sexual content:
Diana has a crush.
There is a school play where one girl must kiss a boy.  There is a big scandal because of that.
Violence:
None.
 Drugs and drink:
None.
So, without further ado, I give my review:

Ok, not a MUSTREADNOW, but ok.

Don't you hate it when a book is less than you expect?


*NOTE*
O recieved this book free for reviewing purposes from Scholastic press. All views are entirely, absolutely and completely my own. 

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?