Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Debtor's planet


Author:  W.R Thompson
My recommended age: 11+ (or any true trekkie)
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher:  Simon and Schuster
Number of pages: 274

Publisher’s description:
When a Vulcan space probe reports that the Ferengi are advancing the people of the planet Megara from a primitive agricultural state to a sophisticated technological society, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Starship Enterprise? are ordered to transport an unlikely passenger to the system, a ruthless twentieth-century businessman who is now a Federation ambassador.
The Ferengi have been changing Megaran culture, turning a hard working and honorable people into vicious xenophobic killers. But the Ferengi are only hired hands. They have hidden masters, with plans to use the Magaran people as a powerful weapon against the Federation.
Now Picard must find a way to use the talents of this new ambassador to free the Megarans. But the ambassador is hiding a deadly secret of his own -- a secret that could unleash an unstoppable destructive force on the Federation.
My thoughts:
·         Characters:  LOVE them.  I simply fell for Offenhouse.  Wesley was great, as normal.  Picard was true-to-movie.  Pretty much all the characters were superb.  The only problem I had was with Riker.  He kinda seemed, different then the shows, a bit more Klingon loving then he should be.  I think Thompson took more poetic license then was needed, but I'm not angry.  It was ok.
·         Plot:  Great!!  It had you thinking you'd gotten it all figured out, then, changed who was REALLY at the roots.  Plus, it kept with the normal Gene Roddenberry style.  Which is a 5 thumbs up for me!
·         Writing: Like I said in plot, it kept with Gene Roddenberry's movie style, and was quick flowing.  You just didn't want to put it down! Which meant, for me, staying up till almost 2 on a school night.
·         Cover:  I really liked it.  Picard looks real, Worf looks real, Offenhouse is, well, dramatized.  He looks a lot younger then he should, but thats ok, for me.
·         Ending:  ♥♥♥  If I try to tell, I'll give it ALL away.
·         World building  Perfectly perfect.  Sci-fi can be hard to bulid worlds on, but Thompson does it wonderfully.


Cons:
Uh, there is some drinking.  Mostly the harmless synthinol.  Thats it. 
Pros:
All of it is one big 'pro'.
Language:
None, oh, wait, Work curses in Klingon, but you can't understand whatever he is saying, cuz it is in Klingon.
Romance and sexual content:
There is a Ferangi that is said to have raped (no details, just small talk)
Violence:
There is a battle.
multiple phaser scenes.
There is an Alien named SHiv that attacks Holograms on the holodeck with a knife.  It is part of her culture.

Drugs and drink:
Synthinol is used a lot.  But, (for non Trekkies) it is completely harmless.  Much like drinking alcohol flavored water.


Ambassador Offenhouse accidentally gets  Diana drunk.  All on accident, mind you.  He had no idea what a bit of Vodka would do to her. 


So, you all want to know what my rating is, right?  At least, I hope you do...


5 shining stars!!  I loved this book 101%.  I think EVERY trekkie should gobble it down as I did.  Or, if you're not a trekkie yet, maybe you should give it a try!  I did, and look at me now!  Can't tell where the trekkie stars, and the star wars fan ends!



What are you?  Trekkie or Star warsi?

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?