Thursday, July 5, 2012

Angel Eyes

:My random thoughts:
I've grown to really love the Angel genre that seems to be growing in popularity. As soon as I saw this book, I knew I had to have it. As I got into it, I was slightly confused, since it kinda starts out in the middle of something. I checked to be sure it wasn't a sequel, and then pushed on. The confusion quickly dropped. While Brielle's emotional struggle couldn've annoyed me, seeing how it really wasn't her fault Abi died, it didn't. For some reason, Brielle hit a spot on my heart, and I was glad when Jake popped up into the story. Jake. Oh, oh Jake. For once, I've found a hero I actually like (Sorry. I wasn't even going to attempt to like Damien. I detested him to begin with. Which is a good, healthy, Christian thing).  But Jake is lovely, and awesome, and I loved everything about him. If only I can find myself a Jake....
I think the reason I like this genre so much, is it causes your eyes to open. Angels aren't just little bedtime stories, they are so real, and there, and they aren't gentle, Precious Moments sweeties. They wield swords, and are messengers. They battle the evil around us, and I cant help but be drawn to what I can't see. The fact that I know God and his Angels are always near, it comforts me. Another thing I liked, was the way it shows Fear. I can't really explain it, but it solidifies the 'The Lord Looks At The Heart' saying.

:Publisher's Description:

Once you’ve seen, you can’t unsee.
Brielle went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and an incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.
Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.
Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than either Brielle or Jake has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices begin.
A realm that only angels and demons—and Brielle—can perceive.



:info to know:
Author: Shannon Dittemore
My recommended age: 12+
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishers
Number of Pages: 336

Characters: As before said, I really liked Jake, and I sympathized (strangely, since I've never been in her shoes) with Brielle. Damien and the other demons were easily hated, which was a good thing. And I love how Abi is just as much a character through Brielle's memories as any of the rest.  And then, there is Canaan. We all wish to have a guardian angel like Canaan. He was pious (as an Angel should very well be) without being a bore, or staunch and unsmiling. He laughed, he cared, and he was more then a hunk of wood.

Plot:
Unlike the Angeloen series, Angel Eyes is set in our world, and is set realistically. One thing I love, is that while, yes, it was a romance story of sorts, romance wasn't the center point. And it not only had external conflict, but the internal conflict within Brielle was also there. Her battle against the cold in her spirit, then, whether to believe what Jake was telling her, and finally, her journey to Christ. 

Writing Style:
This being Ms. Dittemore's debut novel, it was EXCELLENT. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what else she puts out.
Cover:
It's beautiful, is it not?
Ending: Unexpected twist that really caught me by surprise.
 
World Building: She did good on the small town, and I'm guessing she did good on the Celestial world...since I've never been there.
Color:  Blue. Blue that could by icy, but also be the color of a warm, fuzzy throw.
Language: None.

Drugs and Drink:  None.

Romance and sexual content:  Brielle accidentally calls Jake 'Hot' in reference to the way his skin is warm, and she is quickly embarrassed. And then, they kiss once.
 
Violence:
At the end, there is a grand 'battle' in both the terrestrial and Celestial worlds. Canaan and Helene fighting their fallen brothers, then Briella, Marco, and Jake fighting the human traffickers.  A little girl shoots a guy in order to save Marco. Damien kills a man. And a big plot twist that involves Damien knifing Brielle.

Ratings
I really enjoyed this book. I finished under 24 hours. And when I was done, I felt happy. I felt safe, and my resolve to look at my heart instead of my outer (For that's what matters) was strengthened.
 
*I got this book Free of charge from Thomas Nelson publishers. I was not paid in any form for my review, and all thoughts are purely my own*

1 Reader views:

Jennifer said...

I just finished this book a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Good review.

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?