Monday, May 9, 2011

The Arrival




Author:  Shaun Tan
My recommended age: 12+
Their recommended age:  13+
Publisher: Scholastic
Number of pages:  128

Publisher’s description:
"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone "A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets "Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist In a heartbreaking parting, a man gives his wife and daughter a last kiss and boards a steamship to cross the ocean. He's embarking on the most painful yet important journey of his life - he's leaving home to build a better future for his family. Shaun Tan evokes universal aspects of an immigrant's experience through a singular work of the imagination. He does so using brilliantly clear and mesmerizing images. Because the main character can't communicate in words, the book forgoes them too. But while the reader experiences the main character's isolation, he also shares his ultimate joy."

My thoughts:
 I thought this would be a reading book, but it isn't.  When I first opened the cover I was like "Whoa, ok, weird".  The drawings seemed really, odd.  But each time I went over it, the more I understood it. What those seemingly odd sketches STOOD for, what they truly meant.  If you are to fully 'get' this incredible picture book, you must have imagination. 
Cons:
 Odd pictures.

Pros:
 Very interested pictures that makes you use your mind.
Pictures show emotion very well.

Language:


 There are no words, so, therefore, no language.
Romance:
 The MC kisses his wife before leaving.
Violence:
 There is one picture of skeletons that symbolizes war.
Drugs and drink:
 None.
Random Snippet:











Sorry, but blogger isn't wanting to rotate them.
*NONE OF THESE DRAWINGS ARE MINE!!! ALL ARE BELONG TO SHAUN TAN!*
Ratings:
 I rate this book 5 STARS for thought provoking, spectacular illustrations, and wonderful show of emotions.
Where you can buy it at:
 You can either buy it directly from the scholastic store, or from Amazon.
*I received this book from Scholastic Publishers.  I was neither paid nor made to do this, but did because I wanted to*

What are your opinions of older reader picture books?

2 Reader views:

Anonymous said...

I really like older reader picture books. I reviewed a couple of them on my blog. I think they're really interesting, and this book looks like no exception. ;)

Celtic Traveler said...

I Love this book! Read it years ago and finally bought it. It's really amazing.

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?