Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Story Engineering


Author:  Larry Brooks
My recommended age:  Anyone dedicated to writing
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher: F&W Media
Number of pages:  

Publisher’s description:
From story concept to character development to scene construction and beyond, this blueprint for dynamic storytelling makes putting together a strong novel, memoir, or screenplay easier than ever. Beginning writers in all genres?from fiction writers to nonfiction writers to screenplay writers will learn how to wrap their heads around the big picture of storytelling at a professional level through a new approach that shows how to combine six core competencies: the four elemental competencies of concept, character, theme, and story structure (plot); and the two executional competencies of scene construction and writing voice. You'll discover how to achieve the greatest potential in your story through mastering the way these six factors combine and empower each other on the page."

My thoughts:
 It was a tough read.  It was dry in the beginning, and had way to much sports terms then a non-sporter like me can handle.   It WAS very helpful, and I've gotten a good bit of help from it, but I had to tackle it with determination.  If I didn't HAVE to do a review on it to get another book, I'd have put it down and not finished it.  But then, I'd have lacked out of what I learned, but point remains, it was hard to read.  Dry, dry, dry.
Cons:
 Dry, VERY dry.
A lot of sports ideas and ideals.  If you're in to sports, then this is no problem for you.
Pros:
 It was very informative.
Language:
The word 'Hell" and perhaps something else close to that.
Romance:
 Mr. Brooks talks about his book in the writing that has a lady, uh, very much sexually involved with someone other then her husband.
Violence:
 The above mentioned book of his also has someone getting shot.
Drugs and drink:
 None to my memory.
Random Snippet:
You just have to read the whole book if you plan on reading one part, it runs together so. 
Ratings:
Hmm...hard part.  I think I will give it a 3 star.  It was a very good read, but if you can't get past chapter one, what good will it do? 
Where you can buy it at:
You can get it from Writer's digest shop for $12.14.
*I received this book from Booksneeze;  A free book reviewer program.   If you would like to join booksneeze, go <HERE>.



I review for BookSneeze®

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?