Monday, January 23, 2012

Not the End of the World

:My random thoughts:

I picked this book up at the library due to the biblical aspects of it.  It seemed harmless, and maybe would  be interesting at the same time. 
It didn't let me down, but, neither did I fully enjoy it.


:Publisher's Description:
Everyone knows the story of the flood, the men God chose to survive and the animals that went in two by two. But what about the others that sailed on the Ark - the women and the children? This adventure story asks what it was really like when the heavens opened and the world drowned - and what might have happened in the days that followed. With a frighteningly zealous and single-minded Noah; Japheth and his young wife, Zillah, concerned for the welfare of the animals; the stowaway boy and baby found by Noah's daughter Timna; and the animals themselves, continuing to act as animals do, whatever their surroundings, this is an extremely compelling, and at times very frightening story, beautifully written as ever by Geraldine McCaughrean.


:info to know:


Author:  Geraldine McCaughrean.

My reccomended age:  12+

Their recomended age:  NA

Publisher:  Oxford's Children's.
 
Number of Pages: 192


  • Characters:   The one thing I really enjoyed about this book, is the way it's author brought the biblical characters to life.  Shem, Ham and Japeth were real people, not just words on the papers of history.  I had never even thought about their wives, the way they acted, nor if they were the only children.  Maybe they had sisters.  Most likely, there was more to the biblical account then we know.  One thing I didn't like, was how Ms.McCaughrean depicted Noah.  More like a religious fanatic and crazy man then a true follower of God.


 Plot:
We all know the story of Noah.  However, Ms. McCaughrean threw in a few extras.  *SPOILERS!* In this book, Noah's family wasn't the only to live past the floods.  That is NOT accurate at all. In fact, it made my slightly agitated at how she chose to write that.  It is clear, God washed away all life except that what was on the ark.

Writing Style:
I must give her a bravo.  She turned a normal, Biblical account into a deeper novel.
 
Cover:

Meh.  It's good, but isn't great enough to take comment.


Ending:

We all know the Flood's story.  But, we don't know the book's ending.  Thats all I say.


World Building:


I had never thought about what it must be like, to be scorned and mocked by your neighbors. To live in pre-flood times.  To watch those neighbors be washed away, and crying out for help.  Ms. McCaughrean has opened my eyes.

Language:

None.

Drugs and Drink:

None.

Romance and sexual content:

Japeth and Zillah are married on the ark, however, the whole family had decided to remain pure on their voyage, sparing us any, unpleasant,  happenings.
 
 
Violence:
                                   People die.  People are washed away.  People are drowned.
It's the story of the worst 'natural' (Not even natural, but you get my point) disaster in the history of Earth.

Ratings:
 
I 'liked' this book, but didn't love it.  
I enjoyed some parts, but not all of it.
I think some was an eye opener, but others I wished weren't there.

Overall?
It had unique descriptions, and was really a great book.  The only thing that prevented it from a 5 star, is the way it's author depicted some things, and ended the book.  
 
The Ark's occupiers were the only ones to live past the flood.
There was no one else.
point made.
The End.

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?