Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sweeter then Birdsong

:My random thoughts:
I always get slightly nervous when I pick up a book with even the slightest romance to it.  Even with the Phantom of the Opera, which I now love.  Romance can be a rather tricky genre.  You can get lame, Tragic, Fairytale, Inappropriate, or just pitiful, which is a lot like lame, just worse.  However, I was pleased with Ms. Elliot's Sweeter then Birdsong.  It was a bit hard for me to get 'into' it, but I credit that to my lack of romance reading.  I just don't 'do' it that often.  But, by the time I turned the final page, I hugged the book and said, "Yes, dear, the is room for you on my shelf".


:Publisher's Description:

Music offers Kate sweet refuge from her troubles…but real freedom is sweeter.
In Westerville, Ohio, 1855, Kate Winter’s dreams are almost within reach. As the first woman to graduate from Otterbein College, she’ll be guaranteed her deepest wish: escape from the dark secret haunting her family. But with her mother determined to marry her off to a wealthy man, Kate must face reality. She has to run. Now. And she has the perfect plan. Join the upcoming musical performance--and use it to mask her flight.
Ben Hanby, Otterbein College’s musical genius, sees Kate Winter as an enigmatic creature, notable for her beauty, yet painfully shy. Then he hears her sing—and the glory of her voice moves him as never before. He determines to cast her in his musical and uncover the mystery that is Kate. Still, he must keep his own secret to himself. Not even this intriguing woman can know that his passionate faith is driving him to aid fugitives on the Underground Railroad.
A terrifying accident brings Kate and Ben together, but threatens to shatter both their secrets and their dreams. Kate can no longer deny the need to find her courage—and her voice—if she is to sing a new song for their future.

Sweeter than Birdsong is a stirring novel of hope and faith inspired by real historical people and events.


:info to know:


Author:  Rosslyn Elliot

My recommended age:  13+ (only because I do not recommended ANY romance for any younger ages, no matter how clean.)

Their recommended age:  NA

Publisher: Thomas Nelson
 
Number of Pages: 400


  • Characters:   I'll only speak of two, Ben Hanby, and Kate Winter, right now.  At first, I found Kate obnoxious. She was so shy, I almost found her unreal. However, as I read more, I began to love her.  It wasn't until that 'Terrifiing Accident' which the description spoke about, that I truly began to enjoy her company.  She shows her true spunk that hides behind the shyness at that moment.
    And Ben Hanby? ♥ But, we always love the guys in romance novels, don't we?

 Plot:
I really can't think of anything magnificent to say about this.  I liked it, but, as is the way with the romance genre, the end always comes out just as we want it.  I, for one, would like to read a romance without the 'happy ever after' affect.

Writing Style:
Ms. Elliot did really well. She turned a historical family, into a story, and did it with blue ribbons to boot.
 
Cover:

Isn't Ben adorbable? And Kate's dress is what truly pulled me in.  I know, the detail things. :-D


Ending:

Happily ever after.


World Building:



There wasn't much description about Westerville, or any of the other towns, but, it was in a good way.  I could imagine everything, but not feel, drained? Is that the way I'm looking for?  She gave us just enough description to build my own picture, without taking us away from the story.  For me, this is the best kind of book TV.

Language:

None.

Drugs and Drink:

None.

Romance and sexual content:

It's a romance.  But, it is set in a highly conscience time about boy/girl relationships.  For instance,
 
A boy may NOT be alone with a girl or vis versa.
A girl may NOT learn anatomy in the same class as boys.
A girl and boy must ALWAYS have a chauffer.
 
With that in mind, it was perfectly clean.
Thank goodness. 
 
 
 
Violence:
                                  This book is a romance, but not just a romance.  It is also about slavery.  It is said that Ben's Father was whipped once for aiding slaves.
one-of-the-main-characters-who's-name-I-shall-not-mention-for-spoiler-reasons is shot at while helping 3 slaves escape, no one is hurt, however.

Ratings:
I was very pleased with Sweeter then Birdsong.  I think it was a sweet romance, nothing dirty or crude, no sexual content, and a very refreshing read anyway.
So saying, Ms. Elliot's novel get a 5 star from me.

*I GOT THIS BOOK FROM BOOKSNEEZE.COM FOR FREE.  ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN*

I review for BookSneeze®

4 Reader views:

Marian said...

Thanks for the review! Just as you mentioned, I'm always wary of romantic books, but this sounds pretty good, especially with the Underground Railroad and shy heroine (I tend to relate to them best).

My favorite romantic book is Eugene Onegin, which has definitely a non-happily-ever-after ending. It's all in poetry form, but I highly recommend it. :)

Anonymous said...

I think that this is the kind of book that I would like! =) I don't like dirty romance books at all. Thanks for sharing this book with us Ashley, I always love your book reviews! :D

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Thank you for your funny and thoughtful review! I really enjoyed it and I'm glad you like the novel.

Rissi said...

My aunt gave me this novel for Christmas - I am really looking forward to reading this series. =)

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?