Monday, February 6, 2012

SwordBird

:My random thoughts:
I picked up this book for one reason.   It was written by a 12 year old girl.  Books written by people under twenty years of age interest me greatly.  As I progressed,  I started to wonder, "Excuse me, Miss Yi Fan, have you ever read Brian Jacques' Redwall series?".


:Publisher's Description:

The blue jays and cardinals of Stone-Run Forest have turned against each other. According to legend, only Swordbird, son of the Great Spirit, has the power to conquer evil and restore peace to the land. 

:info to know:


Author:  Nancy Yi Fan

My recommended age:  8-12

Their recommended age:  8+

Publisher: HarperCollins
 
Number of Pages: 256


  • Characters:  Honestly, I could've cared less then a crap about the characters.  They felt like tossed aside seconds from Redwall, and I made no emotional connection to them

 Plot:
Very Cliche.  If it had been an adult writing it, Swordbird would've been turned down right off the bat.  Miss Yi Fan's age is the only thing that got her book published.  And now I see there is a prequel? Good heavens.

Writing Style:
It was very good for a 12 YO.  I;ll give her that. 
 
Cover:
I like Doves.

Ending:

Come on.  That wasn't a battle.

World Building:
I don't really know what to say.  I've read 2/3 of the Redwall books, and that is what defined Stone-Run country for me.  Not the book.

Language:

None.

Drugs and Drink:

The Hawk lord, who's name was also in a redwall book, gets nearly drunk.

Romance and sexual content:

None.
 
 
Violence:
                                 None that was good enough to speak of.


Ratings:
 
Here I stand, right where the Nancy's publishers stood.
If an adult had written this, I'd charge them with copyright fraud (Redwall) and lack of everything a writer should have.
But a 12 year old girl wrote it.
Iy yi yi. 
I'm sorry, it just wasn't very creative,
I give it a:
 
I don't blame Miss Yi Fan, I blame her parents and HarperCollins.  Come on, Harper, I've expected better then this from you.

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?