Saturday, March 26, 2011

Little Klein



Author: Anne Ylvisaker
My recommended age:  8+
Their recommended age: 9+
Publisher:  Candlewick Press
Number of pages: 192

Publisher’s description:
"Harold "Little" Klein can’t seem to measure up. Surrounded by the "Bigs," his boisterous gang of older brothers, and the bustling, bighearted Mother Klein, Harold often feels little and left out -- until the day a stray dog named LeRoy becomes his inseparable companion. Join a cast of colorful characters in a rural river town circa 1949, where boys wrestle and fish, swipe pies, ride perilous waters on homemade rafts, and sometimes quietly become heroes."

My thoughts:
This was kinda dry at times. Little Klein and his brothers were very real, but it just wasn't very fast paced. Towards the end, it picks up a little..but it still can't compare to some other books.
It was very cute though, don't get me wrong...it just wasn't very fast paced.
Cons:
Dry plot and characters.
The bigs break into a neighbor's house and eat a pie.

Pros:
Clean Content. 
Not dramatized.

Language:
If anything, it is simple things like 'darn'.

Romance:
None.

Violence:
The bigs wrestle each other at times.

Drugs and drink:
I don't remember anything.

Ratings:
I rate this 3 Stars. It was clean and all, it just didn't hold your attention enough. That is the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars.

Where you can buy it at:
You can buy it from either Amazon, or Candlewick press.

*I received this book from Candlewick Press. I was neither paid nor asked to do this, but did because I wanted to*

1 Reader views:

Shelley said...

Nice book review Ashley! Thanks for sharing! : )

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?