Saturday, March 26, 2011

Terezin: Voices from the Holocaust




Author:  Ruth Thomson
My recommended age:  10+
Their recommended age:  10+
Publisher:  Candlewick Publishers
Number of pages:  64~ it is pretty much a 'picture' book.

Publisher’s description:
"Between 1941 and 1945, Nazi Germany turned the small town of Terezín, Czechoslovakia, into a ghetto, and then into a transit camp for thousands of Jewish people. It was a "show" camp, where inmates were forced to use their artistic talents to fool the world about the truth of gas chambers and horrific living conditions for imprisoned Jews. Here is their story, told through the firsthand accounts of those who were there. In this accessible, meticulously researched book, Ruth Thomson allows the inmates to speak for themselves through secret diary entries, artwork, and excerpts from memoirs and recordings narrated after the war. Terezín: Voices from the Holocaust is a moving portrait that shows the strength of the human will to endure, to create, and to survive."

My thoughts:
I Really enjoy reading about Hitler youth, Jews and diaries from WW2, so, I naturally enjoyed this book.  It wasn't very long, but it was still very interesting.  The Art work from the Terezin occupants is wonderful, I just can't imagine HOW the Nazis thought them as lesser... 
Cons:
Short length.
1 drawing has a un-clothed person,  All you see if the rear end.
Pros:
Wonderful artwork,
True depictions.
Clean for younger/middle readers. 

Language:
None.
Romance:
In one drawing, a man and woman are kissing in the foreground.

Violence:
It is a concentration camp.  Only the things you can expect from a WW2 book about those camps.
Drugs and drink:
I don't remember anything.
Ratings:
I rate this book 5 stars.  It is well written, informative, clean, and very stunning.
Where you can buy it at:
 You can buy it from Amazon or Straight from Candlewick press.
*I received this book from Candlewick press.  I was neither paid nor asked to do this, but did because I wanted to*

0 Reader views:

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?