Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not This Time


:My random thoughts:
I'm not going to lie. This book started out pretty dull. Maybe it was because this book is part of a series, and I didn't read the previous novels. I dunno. But I read the first few chapters, and put it down.  But I couldn't leave it down, as I had gotten it to review from a Publisher, and I had given my word to review it. So, after finishing all other books at hand, and then kicking my feet, I picked it back up, telling myself, "You've read worst things, you can do it".  And for awhile, I did have to force myself to continue reading. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting, but you know that feeling when you walk into the middle of some one's conversation and feel left behind? Yeah. That's what I got. But after reading it, I started to get the feel of things. Annie and Liza's problems, WHO Darla Green was, whatever NINA was, and why Beth was so nervous of having her heart broken. It cleared up nicely. And after that? You couldn't have torn me away from 'Not This Time'. The greatness in the novel was there, I just had to read a bit longer to find it.

:Publisher's Description:
Small town scandal. International terrorist attack. Who among them is the traitor?
Sara and Beth have built a multi-million dollar business together, but their once solid friendship is now strained. Beth is leery of Sara's husband, and when he is kidnapped, authorities consider Beth their prime suspect.

Then, their small town of Seagrove Village is rocked by an act of terrorism, and Beth doesn't know who to trust. Someone she knows is linked to the attack, but who? Is there a connection to Crossroads Crisis Center? In the midst of the confusion and fear, Beth finds herself attracted to a man from her past. She knows she shouldn't fall in love with him, but she can't resist or even explain their bond. As her world unravels around her, she wonders, is it possible to be beyond redemption?
:info to know:
Author: Vicki Hinze
My recommended age: 14+
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher: Multnomah Press
Number of Pages: 336
  • Characters: After I got to know them, I loved them. Each was so real. Astounding. My favorite? Joe. Don't we all wish for a guy like Joe?
Plot:
While at first it was confusing, after I got into it, and kinda puzzled together the back stories to everybody and everything, it got really exciting.
Writing Style:
Ms. Hinze certainly has the ability to become a star. I can't truly point out anything that is a huge flaw with her writing craft. She is clear and Concise, doesn't burden you with details, but doesn't leave you in the dark. Her characters are realistic and enjoyable. You felt Beth's pain and annoyance with Sara, and Joe's desperation to crack the wall around Beth's heart. It was really wonderful.
Cover:
It is so vibrant. I love it.

Ending:
She finished the story, while leaving room for a sequel at the same time.

World Building:
Maybe because I've grown up in a small southern town, but I really felt Seagrove.

Color:
Murky Grey.
Language:
None.
Drugs and Drink:
none.

Romance and sexual content:
Joe is very much in love with Beth. But, unfortunately, she is a tough gal to win. She was dumped by a man she really and truly loved for some Glamorous beauty, and every since, she has built a wall around her heart against any man. While she also feels strongly for Joe, she is afraid of her own choice of love.  She makes the point, If she was so wrong about the type of guy Max was, maybe I'm wrong about the type of guy Joe is.  Finally, at the end, her walls come down. However, nothing immoral, or naughty happens. Which does my herat good. I can take this type of Romance.

Violence:
We are dealing with a Terrorist organization here.  There are two shootings (one ends with a death), a Domestic Violence, A fist fight, and gassing.
 
Ratings
Despite the fact I was sloth to read it, I did enjoy it. Having a book without language, Drinking, or Sexual content does my heart really good. Rarely do you come upon such a thing as that. I bestow on this novel a grande:
 
 
*I got this book free of charge from Waterbrook Multnomah press. I was not paid to do this review and all opinions are my own*

1 Reader views:

Jack said...

I can never make it through books that start out slow, though I know many pick up as they go. I'm trying to change this habit as most Classics start out slow but I wish to read them.

I liked your review and if I find this book I'm going to add it to my list

Post a Comment

Comments make me very happy!
Whats your thoughts on the book?